Furniture Project Master Post

Well this project hasn't been going as smoothly as i originally intended, but its finally going despite the issues i've been having with it!

I initially had a multitude of problems getting my patch to work, my desktop computer did not like this patch in the least and kept crashing (i shouldn't be surprised as it is affectionately named Lawnmower). I also kept having problems with patches not saving properly and my entire project getting lost, i think this is caused by me swapping computers and rhino only wanting to run one licence at a time so it closes the program on the other PC.

This is the patch that gave me so much trouble, but when it got up and running it worked great. As a short summary it binds gravity fields to points at the center of circles, it then divides the circles into x amount of points and draws a line, the lines are then bent to the force of the gravity.




With this assignment i really wanted to branch out into trying different materials on the laser, mostly so i could satisfy my wants to see what would happen. I made this possible through making my iterations different attachments for my light.

The first iteration was doing a vinyl engraving which was incredibly successful in the end, i love how this one turned out. To turn the thickness of the line drawing up without closing everything off and hatching it was to increase the print width in Rhino before it was sent to the laser cutter, we also used this for my second version.

The first version of this was a relief to finally have running in Rhino, this is it before it was sent to the laser:
This is a video of the laser happily going along:



Here it is just after the laser finished its job:


Here is the final cutout  all cleaned up with light being shone through it. 


My second version i wanted to try and do something on fabric as its something i wanted to try since the start of the term. In this version we did an engrave function onto the surface of the fabric - just enough to burn the pattern into the surface but not cut it all the way through, to do this the laser was unfocused by 13mm and had the power lowered significantly. 

Version sent to the printer: 


File while it was cutting (i forgot to take videos):


 And then the final Product:


I really wanted to try and dye this piece of fabric but unfortunately the burnt areas weren't as stable as i anticipated, when soaked with water and agitated these areas began to quickly disintegrate. So in the future if coloured fabric is a want dye needs to be used first - but i'm not sure if that would cause any death gasses to be created.



Unfortunately i wasn't able to complete my third version in time, i still want to figure out how to do surface textures using my 3D printer. The outcome i wanted was something similar to the version above, kind of like 3D printed embroidery.  The best way to to this would be to duplicate and move the design over slightly and then close off all of the open ends; then extrude up to whatever thickness. To 3D print onto fabric all you need to do is print the first 2-3 layers, then place your fabric on-top and tape it down, the fabric can't be anything with a tight weave.

This is the design that i wanted to use:
This is the fabric that i was going to use together with a silky white filament- my hope is that the filament would glow brighter than the fabric when lit.




The body is comprised of three different parts the tube and two clamps with chains. The tube houses all of the electronics and a track where the interchangeable parts slot in with neodymium magnets. The clamps are used to clamp the light on the shelf above my desk or any other surface you want it to hang from. The chain attaches to the tube easily with links that have gaps included in them. I took and mixed two files off of Thingiverse for the clamp attachment, this and this file.  The space above my desk is convenient since the LED's i bought have a USB power cable (plus it'll look cool).



I'm printing all of the hardware with clear filament so that the body of the light itself glows (because you cant have enough cool mood lighting) 


I do have the tube ready for printing as well once my clamps are finished, it needed to be chopped in half due to its size, but it will be easily glued together. 



Due to a multitude of variables, mostly my own time management and rhino giving me grief i was unable to complete this on time for the assignment (even with an extension, oof) but i feel like i learned ALLOT from this project and i got to try a whole lot of new things and gained super exciting information about new machinery and programming.







Comments